Wednesday, January 21, 2009

What's Cooking Wednesday #9

So this week I'm cheating...I cooked this meal last week. We were at a birthday party tonight, so I didn't need to cook! But this was a yummy recipe, so I still wanted to participate in What's Cooking Wednesday.

I decided to try my hand at making quiche..so here's my recipe based loosely on other quiche recipes I found.



Ingredients

1 pie shell (I bought mine from the Stone Crock, but feel free to make your own!)
1 cup grated cheese
5 eggs, separated
1/2 cup milk
ground pepper to taste
1/2 small onion, chopped finely
1/2 red pepper, chopped finely
5 mushrooms, chopped finely

Preheat oven to 350F

Sprinkle 1/2 cup cheese onto the bottom of the pie shell.

Whip egg whites until frothy. Add yolks, milk and pepper. Mix together until blended.

Pour mixture into pie shell.

In a small frying pan, heat a small amount of olive oil (a spray will work too) Saute onion, pepper and mushrooms, about 2 minutes. Add to the pie shell.

Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheese over the top of the pie shell.

Bake for 45 minutes (top should be nicely brown, and a toothpick inserted in centre should come out clean).

Options - add cooked sausage, chopped into small bites; add any other vegetable (ie spinach, broccoli etc)

Enjoy!

2 comments:

jenn said...

I didn't know you were blogging! Great blog Jill! Did you get into 2friends today for the .25cent paper sale? I did! lol Like I need more paper! hehe ;)

See you at church sunday!
xo
jenn

Chantal said...

I have been looking for a quiche recipe, this one sounds nice. I know, quiche, you would think I could have made it up on my own but hey. I like your idea of whipping the egg whites. Probably makes it nice and fluffy eh. Thanks.