Wednesday, May 7, 2008

What's Cooking Wednesday


If only....I had discovered What's Cooking Wednesday sooner!!!

I've been trying to be diligent about creating meal plans each week to avoid the meltdowns that happen when I'm late with dinner. So far I'm about 50/50 in my sucess! When my sister started doing What's Cooking Wednesday on her blog, I thought this would be a great way to make sure I try at least one new recipe a week...and eventually have enough to create some great meal plans!

So here goes my first attempt...

Chicken Pot Pie with Green Leaf Salad
(adapted from Sandi Richard's Cooking for the Rushed)

Ingredients
1 tsp olive oil
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 onion
10 mushrooms
1/2 tsp each of salt and ground sage
1/4 tsp each of marjoram and thyme leaves
1 1/2 Tbsp butter
1 1/2 Tbsp flour
1 cup milk
1 cup frozen mixed vegetables

Preheat oven to 400 F.

Heat oil in large frying pan on med-high. Cut chicken into bite size pieces and gradually add to pan as you cut. Toss until chicken is no longer pink.

While meat is browning, chop onion finely. Wash and slice mushrooms. Add to meat pan. Add spices and stir.

Add butter, flour and gradually add milk. Stir until thickened.

Rinse vegetables under cold water. Add to the meat pan, stirring until mixed. Cover and cook about 3 minutes. Pour this mixture into a rectangular baking dish.

Bake for 18 to 20 minutes.

Serve with a green leaf salad, and hot fresh bread. Enjoy!
Variations:
The original recipe calls for adding biscuits on top of the casserole and baking (I don't like soggy bread, so I didn't do this)
Use finely chopped fresh, in season, vegetables in place of the frozen vegetables.

3 comments:

Shan said...

I love Sandi Richard and chicken pot pie. I'm going to give this one a whirl!

Shan said...

Ooops I meant to say welcome to WCW as well!

Jen said...

This is a yummy combination and solves the crust problem for me with chicken pot pie. I'd much rather use fresh bread. Happy WCW a day late! And welcome to the party!