Wednesday, May 14, 2008

What's Cooking Wednesday - 2nd edition

So we've been eating pretty poorly the last few days (Swiss Chalet, Burger King..need I say more!) so I decided tonight I would make a healthy, but delicious recipe for the next instalment of What's Cooking Wednesday.

Vegetarian Chili

Ingredients

an assortment of chopped vegetables totalling around 2 cups (tonight I used carrots, celery, green onions, green pepper, broccoli and mushrooms)
1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can of beans in tomotato sauce (pork n beans without the pork!)
1/2 can of tomato sauce
1 Tbsp chili powder (this makes a mild version as my kids won't eat spicy food)
pinch of brown sugar
salt and pepper to taste
cooked rice (I like basmati best!)
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese


Method

Cut all of your vegetables and place in a large saucepan. Add a little water and cook over medium-low heat until vegetables are slightly tender.

Add black beans, tomato beans, chili powder, brown sugar and salt and pepper. Stir until well mixed. Add enough tomato sauce to make it chili-like.

Cover and cook on medium low for about 1/2 hour until flavours are blended. Stir once in a while. If it is too liquidy, then take the lid off.

Spoon cooked rice into bowl and top with a healthy dose of the chili. Sprinkle with grated cheddar cheese. Enjoy!!

3 comments:

Renaedujour said...

Have you ever tried adding Spicy V-8 to your chili? It's a trick from my mom-in-law and it is surprisingly tasty.

JillEBean said...

Mmmm..sounds good! I'll have to split the batch in half as my kids are anti-spicy :)

Shan said...

This sounds like a great recipe!! I'll have to give it a try. Don't forget to link back to me when you're posting your WCW posts. Thanks looking forward to more great recipes!!