Wednesday, May 21, 2008

What's Cooking Wednesday #3

Trying to get my kids to eat healthy foods is always a challenge..so I decided to invest in the cookbook "Deceptively Delicious" by Jessica Seinfeld. This week's What's Cooking Wednesday is a recipe from this cookbook...

Chocolate Chip Cookies (with chickpeas)

Ingredients
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3/4 cup butter
2 large egg whites
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 (15-oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
2 cups all purpose flour (I used whole wheat for more nutrition)
1/2 cup old fashioned oats
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
3/4 cup raisins (optional)

Preheat oven to 350F. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray (or use a Pampered chef baking sheet)

In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the sugar and butter with a wooden spoon or on medium speed until smooth. Beat in egg whites and vanilla, then the chickpeas and chocolate chips. Add the flour, oats, baking soda and salt. Mix on low speed until a thick dough forms.

Drop dough by tablespoonful onto baking sheet, spacing cookies about 2 inches apart. Press gently with a fork to flatten. Bake until the cookies are golden brown and just set, 11-13 minutes. Do not over bake. Transfer to a rack to cool.

Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.


So my daughter was very excited that I was baking (it doesn't happen often!) When the cookies were cool, she begged to try them. She pointed to the chickpeas and said "What are those?" Like any good mother, I told a little white lie and said "Butterscotch chips." After the first few bites, she decided she didn't like the "butterscotch chips" and proceeded to eat around the chickpeas..oh well..I had good intentions!!! Next time I think I'll puree the chickpeas...

2 comments:

Jen said...

Here's a trick I use in baking - whole wheat pastry flour. It's practically interchangeable with all purpose flour. Also, you can use oat bran instead of oats and it makes things more tender (not sure you'd want that in cookies, though).

Looks like a good recipe!

Shan said...

I bought this book too, but have only actually used it once. It was a great jumping off point though. I buy jars of baby food and sneak that in wherever I can. So the chocolate chip muffins I made the other night had a jar of carrots in them. I also sneak it into the mac and cheese and the canned pasta they love to eat.