Tuesday, December 30, 2008

What's Cooking Wednesday #7


Happy New Year! In honour of New Year's celebrations, I chose an appetizer for my What's Cooking Wednesday post today. Soooooo good!


Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts


1 package of low salt bacon (I used pork, but I'm sure it would work with turkey bacon too)
1 can of whole, peeled water chestnuts

1 cup of ketchup

1/2 cup brown sugar

Cut bacon strips in half. Drain water chestnuts. Wrap one 1/2 strip of bacon around one water chestnut. Secure with a toothpick and place in a baking dish. Continue until all bacon is used up.

Bake at 350F for about 40 minutes.

Heat the ketchup and sugar in a pot, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. After the 40 minutes, drain off any grease from the bacon. Cover each bacon wrap with the ketchup mixture. Return dish to oven for another 10-15 minutes.

Serve immediately!
These are so good...they were devoured quickly! I think next time I make them, I will add the sauce sooner so it becomes more caramelized....
Enjoy!

No comments: