Wednesday, December 10, 2008

What's Cooking Wednesday #6

So we've all been sick this week, so I'm going back to my recipe files to find a yummy meal (I'll post a picture when I make it again) for this week's What's Cooking Wednesday

Sweet Potato Salad
2 large sweet potatoes, peel and cut into 1/4 inch cubes
1 1/2 Tbsp cider vinegar
1 1/2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon honey
1/4 cup vegetable oil (I used safflower oil)
1 cup diced celery
1/4-1 cup diced red bell peppers
sea salt & fresh ground pepper
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley (I didn't have any, but it was fine without!)
1 green onion, thinly sliced
salad greens

Steam sweet potato cubes for 6 to 8 minutes, until just tender. Do not overcook. While potatoes steam, whisk vinegar, mustard, and honey in a small bowl. Slowly add oil in a thin stream, whisking until dressing emulsifies.

Place diced celery and red peppers in a serving bowl. Add steamed potatoes and dressing. Stir gently, add salt and pepper to taste, set aside for a few minutes. When salad has cooled a little, toss in parsley and scallions. Serve on salad greens.

Steamed sweet potatoes are one of my favourite foods! My husband and I and my in-laws loved this meal...I've given up on the kids!

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow -- i love potato salad and sweet potatoes but it never occured to me to put that together. Thank you for the inspiration :)